Powered by The Ohio State University

Get  Help

This section will present information about the types of resources that may be available on your campus, how you or your friend can get help with a substance misuse problem, and details around federal laws.

Pressure to Succeed

A student at Capital University recently said:

“It’s crappy how much stress we are under.  College is supposed to be a time of learning more about oneself and growing as a person. Instead we try to balance grades, working, clubs, social interaction, sleep, etc.”

This student expresses how many of today’s college students feel.  Sometimes students deal with this stress by misusing alcohol and other drugs.

The old joke goes: “Social life. Grades. Sleep. Pick two.” Of course, at times it might be hard to figure out how you’re going to obtain all three of these, and often people will choose to sacrifice sleep in favor of the other two. If you aren’t getting enough sleep most nights, your immune system may weaken (if you don’t believe me, just ask how many times I went to the health center my first fall semester of college), and your schoolwork may suffer as well.

There are a variety of resources for students to get help on campuses including:

  • Alcohol and other drug prevention offices
  • Student health services
  • Collegiate Recovery Programs
  • Student wellness centers
  • Counseling centers
  • Academic advising centers
  • Dean of students offices
  • Vice president for student affairs offices
  • Support group meetings

Resources in the campus community may include:

  • Drug and alcohol treatment centers
  • Twelve Step meetings
  • SMART recovery meetings
  • Other mutual help groups
  • Counseling centers

Online resources include:

The Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Drug Misuse Prevention and Recovery can help students identify resources to answer their questions about alcohol and drug misuse, get research for class projects to further their education about alcohol and drugs, and identify how to talk to a friend who is misusing alcohol and drugs.

Call us at 614-292-5572 if you need assistance.

Counseling and Emergency Resources

For a poisoning emergency (e.g., alcohol or drug overdose) call 911 or 1-800-222-1222.

If someone you know is struggling with the misuse of alcohol or drugs, help them get professional assistance. Talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. College students should contact their institution’s counseling, student health, or student wellness center. If needed, the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration provides a searchable directory of drug and alcohol treatment programs.

Our Founding Partners